Monday, May 22, 2006

The Mystery of The Baklawa!

How many people you know, actually like and eat this type of Baklawa*? (see picture)

Throughout my life, I think I can only name one person whom I remember mentioning they liked those pistachio stuffings, coated with those white or brown vermicelli thingies.
(I don’t really know what they are)

And yet, for some reason they still persist in every Kilo of Baklawa you buy... Some stores have ready made trays on display, because in the end, who cares really! But most of the time, you are amused by the live preparation of the vendors. You entrust them with the monumental responsibility of picking your Baklawa (3ala zaw2ak m3allim). They would then proceed filling the tray with an a priori standardized fashion, which would of eventually lead of course to acquiring at least 2 of these weird Baklawas.
I could swear though, that even if you did have the choice, and were picking your own, somehow you look... and you can't resist them.
"Alright give me two of these" (yalla 3tina tnen) you say!
Although you don't like them and you know that no one would eat them, you would be driven by a mysterious force, a weird attraction to add them to your collection of choice...

At our house, the platter of Baklawa was considered over as soon as these Baklawas were the only ones remaining.
Despite the fact that they would constitute about 10-15% of the Platter, nobody seems to mind them, nor show them the least bit of attention. They would simmer for a few days getting gooey and sticky, until you notice they are sitting clumsily on the table...

- Do we still want to keep these?
- No no, khalas throw them away!

I love Baklawa!

* Baklawa is the way we pronounce Baklava.

Photo source: http://www.masrisweets.com

7 Comments:

At 12:03 AM, Blogger Laila K said...

my favorite ones are the ones that are stuffed with snoubar, but exactly the same from the outside..they're heavenly!

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger _z. said...

I love the ones that are like fingers (asabi3)!

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Laila K said...

and znoud el sitt..and 7lewet el jibneh (ma3 2ater)???? now I'm moving way far from the topic..and I'm making myself so hungry!

by the way my pics were taken opposite the fine arts museum on sherbrooke and bishop

 
At 10:14 PM, Blogger J. said...

the finger ones are the best. Everybody knows that.

 
At 10:48 PM, Blogger Laila K said...

Z, you know my secret (of how im losing my brain cells)..so shhhhh..keep it! :P (just kidding ofcourse i dont do that..*cough*)

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger _z. said...

yup yup, I love the finger ones too... but I have to admit, I stand corrected, a lot more than I expected liked those Baklawas that I was criticizing... they are called Burma apparently...

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger _z. said...

haha laila, your secret is well kept!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3