Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Colorful Journey. [Pick Your Color]

Aug.24.2006.

When I was little, if you asked me which what my favorite color, without hesitation, I would shout out: “Blue!”


Blue

Blue is the color for “boys”, and Pink is for girls. This is how we would discriminate. Again by color. Not by the color of skin though, but the color of commodity. If you are a boy, you are automatically labeled blue, and if you are a girl, you are pink. If you venture into crossing to the other side, i.e. your mother made you wear the pink shirt in which she thought you looked cute, you instantaneously become the mockery of all the kids in “da hood”. And the same scenario plays back if you were a girl instead.

Then I grew up a tad more, and Red became my color. Red is strong, red is fast, red is aggressive, red is the color of my favorite football team, Bayern Munchen… Red is definitely what I like.

Red

Then I started reading, and I wore black. I read, I watched movies (no more karate movies for me - miss them though), smoked, gotten drunk, and black was still my color. Black is mystical, mysterious, attractive and very powerful. My clothes were black (sometimes blue), my favorite car was black (no more red)… and I liked girls with black hair (sometimes blond, or red...).

Black

When I studied “colors”, I started thinking my choices. I did not pick colors randomly anymore; every color was intended and deliberate.
This proved to be a very stressful, difficult task, and a monumental responsibility. But I loved and enjoyed it!

Ocre + Prussian Blue + Bordeaux + Olive green
Orange + Blue
Pastel
Aquarelle
Sepia
Black and White
Grayscale
Black +Shades of Grey + Red + White

Pink!

What!
Yes Pink!

I then liked the color pink. I typed with pink on msn, I colored plans (architectural drawings) and models with pink. This time, I even chose to wear pink (despite my macho friends' comments).
....

But if you ask me now, which is my favorite color, I would have to say:
“White!”

Minimal, pure and simple White.

The color White, is all the colors put together. I think that when time comes, and you are able to look at the whole palette, and instead of stressing and obsessing, you absorb all the colors, analyze them, and peacefully click on the color white, I believe that means your colorful journey matured, you have matured, and are now in peace with your colors.

I pick White!

Some associate the color White with death; am I more at ease with the idea? I don't think so!

I never got rid of Black It often comes back to haunt me.
Red; Bayern Munchen is still my team.
I mostely wear blue jeans.
And I still type in pink on msn.


Painting: Kazimir Malevich’s “White Painting”

10 Comments:

At 12:32 PM, Blogger Red said...

What a fascinating post.

Clearly I still have to mature or reach the end of my colourful journey (!), for this is what I still like more than white:

Red (obviously) because it's got balls, it's fiery and you can't not notice it. Wonderful!

Green because it's soothing and probably the most recurring colour in nature.

Blue because it reminds me of the sea and its profundity. Plus my eyes are blue!

For years I would wear only black clothes, then I got happy (seriously!), and now I hardly ever wear it. Or if I do, I accent it with a bright red/green/orange something.

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i wear black and white. i always think colors are to be tasted and painted and experienced but not to be worn. i see the body as a clean palette that should be presented in the simplest form allowing nature to express itself through it and around it.

loved the post.

 
At 7:28 AM, Blogger Lirun said...

that is very interesting..

my core colours are blue and brown.. earth and water.. i am not religious about it.. but my favourite board shorts for surfing are brown and i struggle when i dont wear blue.. i love the ocean..

i have also always loved the lightness of white.. i love falling asleep in white and waking up in white..

i love black at night though.. i like blending into the darkness and becoming one with my shadow - walking in stealth down rainy sidewalks defying the pourdown with a vast umbrella..

my favourite colour of all time is no doubt pthalo blue or if its unavailable ultramarine blue.. but definitely pthalo first.. and more than anything both of them together.. like the beach sometimes suggests when its sunny enough..

i love colour..

thank you for reminding me..

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Laila K said...

black black..
ba3den pink on msn?!

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Mar said...

I love this post z!Ya colorful inta.I like how u started from a cell to a mature human being.

I pick pink too and i think guys who wear pink are very brave,they defy the status quo.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice post. I feel that colours that we choose to wear,r closely related to our mood. At times,if am upset,i like to wear black,& if am happy,i'll automatically tend to pick light cheerful colors!!I cannot have one colour that i love,the world is colourfull & so is our life with all the colours so why pick one when we can have it all? :-)

NOUZ

 
At 2:28 AM, Blogger _z. said...

Red_
I am glad you added colors to your life. I imagine *a had something to do with it.

thank you Mirvat... I am sure a bit of color would look good on you!

lirun_
very poetic description. colors are strongly tied to our perception of things. the likes and dislikes.
thank you for dropping by. welcome.

chou bou el pink princess? lech 3indik ma2khaz 3leh.

Mar thank you... khajjaltina.

nouz the colors of the world are available to all, true. however it would be nice if at times you would appropriate a color and make it your own. even for a little while.

 
At 3:29 AM, Blogger gitanes legeres said...

_z, colorful post and colorful blog..i'm a frequent visitor, still intrigued by emily..hope to see u soon.

 
At 12:50 AM, Blogger _z. said...

gitanes... I still am not sure how to present emily either. I will figure it out and let you know.
thanks for reading.

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger The Editor said...

Cheer up,
the future's....
Brown......?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3