Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Architecture of Dreams.

Museum of Modern Art / Feb.05 / New York City, NY / Nikon Coolpix 5700

Architects can be so arrogant. Including my so-called self. I mean you can say all you want about Disney and its Architecture.


- Oh this is so Disney Land you say whenever you want to critique, and reference to an eclectic object of Design bordering the cliché – or beyond.

Who are you?
Give the guy a break; you practically grew up watching what he did and created for you. All he cared about was to build an empire for you; a palette of dreams and hopes for you to dip your brush of being in.

I am not asking you to accept his architectural taste, and to promote it; far from that.
All I’m saying is that you could shut up about it already.

Come your children, what do you think they are going to watch?
You didn’t even bring yourself to go see “my architect”. And this is a movie about Louis Kahn, one the Great Ones you highly respect.

What do you think they are going to like?
Do you think they’re going to ask you to take them to the MoMA, or to Disneyland?

Shut up already!

Get your ass off the couch and do something useful for humanity. Let your work be criticized.

Labels: , , ,

16 Comments:

At 2:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wooooooooooow!
nice photo ;-)
■■■■

 
At 6:40 AM, Blogger Krys said...

ssscusssez tu veux tu te calmer!! lech m3assab hek....!!

Faut pas trop accorder de l'importance a ces gens la...ils sont pas architectes non?

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger poshlemon said...

Yes, architects are arrogant. They are good and they know it. From my study of architecture and its history, I see why (maybe, understand it too). I also see how hierarchies tend to form and how things are deemed more trendsetting or more valuable than others. Then again, it is a matter of opinion. Well, and yes, more than occasionally, facts as well.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Master Blaster said...

Lek, hay bass kinna sawa?

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger _z. said...

lol merci!

krys_
yes they are... otherwise they won't criticize. non-architects in general, find Disney agreeable, or they don't even notice and see the architecture.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger _z. said...

posh!
no no no... only architects have the right to say "architects are arrogant"... that's the rule.
are you an architect in this case?

tony_
yes of course... since you're my favorite New York guide!

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Liliane said...

you know, dont be so hard on yourself, if you're enjoying being lazy at some point, just enjoy it. le7i2

 
At 4:38 PM, Blogger Lirun said...

leave architects alone! anyone who has a problem with them you deal with me.. because they're not well right now.. leave them alo-ho-hone.. i mean it! hehe

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kHmvkRoEowc

in case people arent sure where this is coming from :)

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger poshlemon said...

_Z.,

well I am a historian/art historian and I study the history of architecture and urbanism to be specific. My PhD thesis is, broadly speaking, on *social/cultural* urbanism and the city. Do I qualify?

 
At 10:04 PM, Blogger Krys said...

ooops!!!

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger _z. said...

liliane_
lazy is good? you don't seem to be lazy. I look at the lists you post and they don't strike me as lists a lazy person would write.

lirun_
haha, yeah saw that a little while ago. I pity Britney and what media (and us) did to her.
what are you gonna do? ppl pay money to see other ppl's lives destroyed. that's entertainment for you.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger _z. said...

posh_
mmmmm despite the fact that you may think I am arrogant here... mmmmm no you don't qualify. Interesting PhD thesis you are working on, and I would really like to talk to you more about it. But studying what architects do (and did), will not generate the same feeling you would get, except when actually doing what they do.

And that's exactly where the arrogance is coming from.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger poshlemon said...

_z.,

very arrogant indeed. I am not liking you at this moment. And I don't need to be an architect to say architects are arrogant.

But seriously now, I don't think this is arrogance as much as it is a simple fact. I am not an architect and unless I practice it and indulge in its particulars, I would not know how it feels to be an architect. And this goes for all other fields/professions.

It would be good to talk to you. I would need to consult with architects or urban designers on certain technicalities that I may not be able to decipher.

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger _z. said...

would love to help you out posh...
and I promise that I will post something explaining to you where the arrogance of the architect comes from.

 
At 2:52 AM, Blogger Liliane said...

I am! I am lazy!

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger _z. said...

no you're not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3