Thursday, November 12, 2009

urban_renewal [rejuvenation of memories].

I am not to be too fond of change.
Although I may alter my mind at some point, there are some things I remain faithful to, no matter what. They are simple everyday life things really, but sometimes I just insist on sticking to initial choices.

I look for familiarity I think; some safe zones and patches of stability are essential in a transient lifestyle.

When I first started urban_memories [the unfinished polaroids] and signed on blogger in 2006, I really took my time picking from the available templates, since I don’t know how to upload a page of my own. I could work out all the graphics of course, but I wouldn’t know what to do with it afterwards. So despite many imperfections, I thought that the template I am using now, resembles me the most, and I went with it ever since.

Even after blogger presented users with new and improved pre-designed templates which you could easily customize to your liking, I still found faults and things that I did not like, and opted to remain with my “classic” template. I didn’t think the updates were worth the change.
Almost Four years later, and as written memories are piling up on the archive list, I am still hesitating and wondering whether I should be going to need some redesigning.
Even if this change could be settled by just adhering to the new template system and changing the header photograph, I am still finding myself fighting the urge for change.

Blog design and legibility are very important to me and maybe as important as the content sometimes. If I don’t like the look of the blog, or if I think that I see “bad graphics”, I tend to read less or even not at all. I would go read elsewhere.
A small change on urban_memories may destroy this blog/blogger familiarity, and make me lose some settings that I had placed and would have liked to keep...

I don’t know... What do you think?

Please look to the right (in the margin below my profile) and tell me your thoughts by placing your vote.
If I can’t make up my mind, maybe I should ask you ladies and gents to help out.

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

_z i love your blog the way it is , but i also believe that change is good. so i will go for small changes that might give big effect - pouzy

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger poshlemon said...

_z.,

I never really believed in horoscopes. And I know very few scorpios. But the similarities between us makes me reconsider my position. Maybe such a thing as a 'scorpio character' does exist :)

I love familiarity. Although I claim to hate routine, I secretly love it because I feel sort of safe. And change frightens me to my knees.

I love and am used to your blog the way it is now. But it might need a bit of tweaking if you think so. And anyways sometimes change is cool :)

 
At 6:47 AM, Blogger Lirun said...

i think we use the same template.. im happy with it..

curious as to your thoughts

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Liliane said...

I understand sometimes the need to change some aspect in our life, sometimes it's a big decision for us, so changing the blog's template is a good decision, I like your blog, I like the green, it's you, but I don't mind seeing something new :) now am curious of what you might do! Coz I know you can do better!

But I know how hard it is to do all this on blogger, you can always create one on wordpress and import it from there and then create something new there which is easier.

 
At 7:55 AM, Blogger Marillionlb said...

Your page is fine the way it is. But having said that, I can understand the need for change. I tried wordpress (and now use it) but still find myself incapable of changing anything (I am not technically inclined). I even had a go at setting up my own web page, and found the experience more frustrating than pleasurable, I am this dumb when it comes to technology. So good luck in whatever you decide to do, I will keep on enjoying your posts and photographs.

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger _z. said...

pouzy_
I appreciate your faithfulness to the blog :) it means a lot. and thank you for your comments.
I know you would rather a bit of change hehe.

posh_
I think you should reconsider... there is a "scorpio character" out there, and you should embrace it... because honestly, everything you wrote, totally summarizes my state, and my dilemma.

 
At 6:10 PM, Blogger _z. said...

lirun_
our templates are very similar true... I took the green theme with the picture that most resembles what I like... but yeah I mean between all the available templates, this is the one i liked the most... so there.

Liliane_
yes it's true, green makes me comfortable. I don't know how to go on about these things... I mean i don't know how to migrate to wordpress... would that entail changing the link as well... I mean I would lose readers like this no? (changing from blogspot.com to wordpress.com)
and can I bring my whole archive along with me?

Marillionlb_
thank you for your comments man... I am technologically impaired as well, so you don't have to worry there... To each their own thing... :)
(PS: I also bought a domain name some 2 years ago... and still don't know what to do with it hehe)
we'll see...

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Serpico said...

_z, we will always be your loyal readers. Even though we might be affected by your new design (again, I say "might"), we will still keep on reading your posts.

In any case, and even if people don't like the new design, with time they will get used to it.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger shoesthatfit said...

i'm going to be a little hormonal and swing back and forth with this a little.

_z., i think a "re-brand" is only necessary to keep things fresh and with the times, or if it adds value to you or to the reader.

i'll have you know that i come back each time coz your mind intrigues me, and not for aesthetic reasons. having said that i too am terrified about change, yet i'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. coz change always presents a new dimension, a new perspective of a familiar "character" (for lack of a better word). like body language or sense of dress, i'd learn a little bit more about you which would build on the likability of your blog.

so i'm voting "i don't care". you know dude, go with your gut. i hope i made sense. it's 4 in the morning .....

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger _z. said...

Serpico_
thanks man...

shoesthatif_
it makes total sense... and I loved that you said:"i too am terrified about change, yet i'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame"... because it is really how I feel about change and whatnot...
so we'll see, I'll probably get around on doing some touch ups eventually...

 
At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it......there is no need to change if things are working just fine.

Fadi

 
At 9:04 AM, Blogger Liliane said...

once you create an account at wordpress.com, there is an option where you import a blog from blogger.com and it brings the comments and all the posts!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3