Friday, May 11, 2007

I Love Alanis.

Ever since “Ironic’ in 1996, I fell in love with that talented hippy chick from Ontario. We used to live in the same neighborhood in Toronto. We used to shop in the same grocery store; a very cool down to earth girl.

With her new hit-started-as-spoof song, a remake of Black Eyed Peas’ “my humps”, Alanis Morissette has done it again, and is re-defining music yet another time.

Here’s how I see it:
Nowadays, a lot of the hit hip-hop, or techno songs, are remakes (remixes) of ballades from the 90s. In my modest (non-expert) opinion, the 90s weren’t the best decade in music history. Sure there were amazing breakthroughs, but I still think remixes are getting more popularity amongst crowds. Maybe because we heard them before, maybe because we get nostalgic, I don’t know; but I find it to be very true.

I think Alanis saw that, and is at it with a vengeance.

She took one of the “modern world’s” sexiest, most successful, most objectifying to women hip-hop hit, and turned it into one of her 90s ballades. She killed it, and brought it back to her era. Back when She ruled in popularity.
I think her parody remake of “my humps” is actually better than the original; although I honestly loved the Black Eyed Peas version. But I just find that Alanis’ is a better, more beautiful re-composition for the same words. (you can watch the video here).


Miss Morissette did the first step in taking new music and adapting it back to authenticity. I think many should follow. I think many will…

And that’s a new decade of music, a new era of creativity… an evolution.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 3:23 AM, Blogger Krys said...

I love alanis too, every single song and the remake of my humps is amazing way better than the Black Eyed Peas although the video clip is hilarious.

SHe has this thing in her voice, and a pattern in her music which makes the ALANIS MUSIC :))

 
At 4:42 AM, Blogger Lirun said...

amazing

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Mar said...

I love Alanis.. she empowers me. I love this post and that u wrote about her..
I love u :P

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger Mar said...

was that just a single or is there a new CD out for my goddess?

 
At 8:43 PM, Blogger _z. said...

hehe, wow, some alanis fans.

mar, i think it is just a one thing...
too bad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3