Thursday, December 13, 2007

Pièce de résistance.

- Hey!
- Heyyyyy Emily! Long time.
- Hihihihi Yeah. I have a question.
- Shoot.
- Who were those people who burnt rubber tires and closed off roads because the electricity was cut off?
- Well they are... I would like to say they are Lebanese.
- Then how come not all Lebanese reacted the same to the same situation. I mean the power is cut all the same in pretty much all regions of your country right?
- Right.
- And economically it affects everyone the same right?

- Right.

- So why?

- I don't know. I can't say.
- You also told me once that this part of the population does not pay their electrical bills to begin with. Correct?
- Yes that's correct. They don't pay bills.
- So how can you NOT pay your electrical bill, and then go on a demonstration condemning power surge and power failure. What do you call that?
- Hypocrisy.
- What does that mean?

- Resistance.
- What!!! But you told me that "resistance" was a good thing, and that the opposition is always better than the loyalists.
- Not anymore Emily. Not anymore.
- So you're telling me I should like the loyalists better now?

- No no wait. Not just yet. I might change my mind, as they all change their minds daily.
- I don't get it.
- I don't either.
- You know, I don't like your country anymore. It is tiring me.

- It is tiring me too Em. It is tiring me too. But I still like it.

- Hihihihihi.

----
For those of you who don't know Emily yet, here are other once posted conversations I have had with her:
Political Chocolate
BABY TALK.
Emily is imperfect, different, always eager to learn. and constantly asking difficult questions. She's extremely innocent, sweet, cute, and most importantly... she dwells in my head most of the time.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey... i'm back. I've always been here but i stopped commenting... dunno why :(
Anyways, i have an existential question (for Emily and you):
Are you happy there? I am always hearing this: "Why don’t you prepare your 'papers' for Canada. You don't have to live there but 'just in case' (i.e. Lebanon was really f*&%)".
And I JUST HATE IT….

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Super Dude said...

What do you hate? The leaving part or the 'just in case' part? Or maybe the 'people telling you what to do' part?

After all what happened in Lebanon, what else can go wrong that fits into the 'just in case' bit? A nuclear war? Lebanon is a dysfunctional country, and will be for a longtime.

I am where I am (same city as z_) right now because Lebanon was never able, and will never be able to fulfill my dreams and aspirations. As for happy, it all depends on what you want out of life, and not what people make you think you want.

Happy is also where you're comfortable, and comfortable is where home is. I'm happy here, and here is my home. Will you be happy here? I don't know, would you call 'here' home?

Now off to shovel some snow that mother nature decided we need this morning.

Cheers.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Super Dude said...

oopsie I meant _z.

 
At 12:36 AM, Blogger _z. said...

There is some truth in what super dude is saying lebgirl. Lebanon will keep as a dysfunctional country for a long time. And probably the situation is going to remain unstable. And if ppl are telling you to prepare your papers, it is not that things are not going to get worse, but just in case you get fed up and decide to look elsewhere.

Happiness is not city specific I think. Therefore your existential question is much bigger than that. it has to do with whether I am happy in general (in life) or not.

Montreal has been treating me well. And before it, Toronto. I get bursts of nostalgia from time to time, especially that all my family is still in Beirut. And also many of my friends and memories. I long for all of those constantly. But then again these memories will never come back reconstructed, even if I tried, and even if all the conditions were adequate...

Sometimes differences bother me, and I get impatient, and other times I am more tolerant.
So am I happy "here" or not... well it all really depend on the mood.

One thing is sure, you have more security here, however sometimes I just woke up panting and longing for my Mediterraneans smell... other times I am happy I came here.

Happiness is is really up to you my friend.

 
At 9:39 AM, Blogger AM said...

I don't get it either, i don't like it either. It is tiring me. Add to it, it is embarrassing me.

Re your last comment, you just spoke my mind, couldn't have said it better myself.

 
At 7:08 PM, Blogger KEA said...

_Z,

Nice post. Do you know the recipee for creating the perfect animal farm?

 
At 10:52 AM, Blogger _z. said...

am_
right?!

mmmmmmmmm_
I don't mate. I don't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

3